Saturday, August 4, 2012

God's Creation - Big and Small

We’ve heard of people having to chase rats out of their house, and one single guy even found baby rats inside his suitcase (assuming the mama chewed a hole in it to get inside), but thankfully we haven’t encountered such “pets”.  Our house has been covered by His favor and grace!  For the first 8 weeks our house was rodent/bug and tummy sickness free, thank you Jesus (and to those that are interceding in prayer for us)!  Around the 8-week mark, we’ve encountered a few different “creatures.”  For example, while brushing my teeth in the bathroom, I discovered a black “thing” on my shoulder.  I quickly bent towards the ground and began shaking my shirt to get whatever it was off.  I discovered it to be a large cockroach.  It landed on its back with its legs wiggling in the air (trying to flip over).  I happily grabbed a bottle from our back-up water supply storage and smashed the little booger!!  It continued to wiggle so I smashed it again.  I’ve heard that cockroaches are hard to kill, but come on!  This same evening as we were headed to bed, I pointed out to Josh (who was already lying in bed) that there was a cockroach on the mosquito net.  He thought I was kidding so I repeated it again.  When he realized I was serious, he climbed out of bed to smash the cockroach.  Before he even had a chance, it fell to the ground and began running at lightning speed – at least that’s how we felt in the moment!  We couldn’t find the little booger and eventually started tearing our bed apart – literally removing the mattress from its frame.  We eventually found it on one of the slats.  We could have easily grabbed the slat and taken care of business, but we both wanted to take a picture so that we’d have proof of our story. As I went to take a picture, it scampered off once again.  We had our moment and blew it.  We looked behind the headboard, curtains, and even started pulling out suitcases from under the bed.  Finally we thought we had it trapped beneath one of our suitcases.  We came up with a game plan.  As Josh yanked the suitcase away, it was my job to smash it with a broom.  Great plan, right?!?!  I had the broom in my left hand and the camera in my right hand.  Of course I hadn’t given up on getting a picture!  I swung at the cockroach while taking a picture, mind you, and wouldn’t you know – I missed!  Go figure right?!  I began dancing around, squealing and giggling, because I didn’t want it on my feet.  At first Josh didn’t find the humor in it, but then he joined in on the joy and laughter!  In the end, we were victorious and captured the little bug.  The next morning our house parents told us they had heard some commotion and giggling the night before but had decided it was best not to come knock on our door….wise decision! And so we shared our story with them…….  God’s creation is beautiful, but sometimes I wonder about certain rodents and bugs!

No comments:

Post a Comment