Sunday, September 21, 2014

Bitter Sweet Day

Thursday, September 18th was a sweet day for our family, because as you know, our 3 youngest children gave their lives over to Jesus.  However, it was also a bitter day for us as well.  Not only did Josiah fall from the top railing of a balcony (about 20 feet high), which could have been fatal…but my father, Rob Campbell, passed away from an unexpected heart attack.  We are saddened by the loss but also rejoicing that he is with Jesus!  AND I am thankful I didn’t have to experience 2 deaths in my family in one day.

I will start off by sharing about Josiah’s fall and end with a tribute on behalf of my dad.  Some of you may have already read about this on Facebook, but for those that don’t use Facebook this will be news to you.  Extended from the kids’ bedroom is a balcony with couches, etc.  We have told the kids that they are not allowed on the balcony unless mom or dad are with them.  Early on Thursday evening Josh was downstairs preparing dinner for the entire household and I was in our bedroom typing my latest blog “3 Special Salvations – Our Children.”  Suddenly I hear a scream from the kids and am wondering who’s fighting with whom.  Then the scream became more alarming and I knew something wasn’t right.  Josh and I both heard it and ran towards where the scream was coming from – outside in the back.  We found Josiah sitting on the tile flooring outside all by himself.  I immediately go to him and pick him up.  Then Gracie tells us that Josiah fell from the balcony.  We had her repeat what she was saying because it was too unbelievable.  It turns out that he and Gracie were playing on the balcony.  Josiah was on the couch, which leans up against one of the side railings.  He then proceeded to climb on top of the railing.  I’m not sure exactly what happened after that, if he decided to climb over the railing and stand on the little ledge or if he just stood up on top of the railing, but Josiah tells us that he then decided to let go.  Of course, doing so he lost his balance and fell to the ground.  We checked him for a concussion and any protruding bones, bumps, bruises, etc., and miraculously he had nothing but a scratch on the bottom of his left pinky toe.  The moment we found him we began praying over his body and that no injuries would result.  We also PRAISED THE LORD for sending angels to protect our sweet, brave little Josiah.  There’s no way he could have fallen that far without help from above.  Josiah was a bit rattled, understandably, but he woke up the next morning saying his feet (mainly left one) feels great.  Josh and I have scoped it out and put pressure on it to see if he flinches in pain at all, because we’ve noticed him favor his foot and limp a little, but he says it doesn’t hurt at all.  We continue to declare wholeness over his entire body, and my heart cannot express how grateful I am that he was protected that day.  What causes a righteous anger in me is that the enemy knows Josiah just gave his life to Jesus that very morning.  I don’t think he liked that one bit and would love to end Josiah’s life early, but I know all of heaven is rejoicing because Josiah is part of God’s family FOREVER no matter what, and even earthly death cannot separate him from God now!

I don’t like how the enemy comes to steal, kill and destroy.  He’s a punk!  On the same day that Josiah gave his life to Jesus, I received heartbreaking news that my dad, Rob Campbell, passed away unexpectedly from a heart attack.  I will rewind to how that all happened.  It was actually the morning of Friday, September 19th in Africa when I woke up early and picked up my phone to see what time it was.  I believe it was around 6am.  I had received a private message via Facebook from someone saying that they were sorry to hear the news and that they love our family and are praying for us.  I was puzzled at first but then thought maybe they were referring to Josiah’s fall from the balcony so I thanked them for their message and then moved on.  Although, there was still something not quite right to me about the message I received because I had spoken to this person in years.  I then noticed that I had been tagged in some Facebook posts so I began reading those.  The same pattern of “I’m sorry for your loss” and “our prayers are with you,” were plastered all over Facebook.  At that point I sat up in bed and noticed Josh was reading posts on his phone.  He said that he read some posts about “Uncle Bob” so he said to me, “Don’t worry, it’s about Uncle Bob.”  I said, “Yes, my cousins and aunts and uncles call him that.”  In my spirit I knew something was wrong and sensed that my dad had passed away, but it wasn’t confirmed until my sister, Amber, sent me a message to have me call her.  Fortunately, we can make phone calls back and forth through Facebook for free…..something we discovered not too long ago!  She informed me that Dad passed away that afternoon from an unexpected heart attack while at a cross-country meet in Kimberly.  Some middle school girls found him lying on the ground (he may have possibly hit his head during the fall) and tried to roll him over but couldn’t so they cried out for help.  Some others went to find my brother, Ryan, whom also helped coach.  My mom was back in Shelley at the time.  They tried to resuscitate him, but I believe after 40+ minutes my brother told everyone he was gone.  I can’t imagine being my brother, Ryan, and seeing my dad lay their lifeless, but my understanding is that he had peace and was comforted.  My dad passed away doing something he loved.  For those that don’t know my dad, he was passionate about running and coached for many, many years.  I allowed the tears to come as Josh wrapped his arm around me, but immediately my heart broke for my mom.  As I explained to my kids, “Grandma just lost her honey.  He’s not on earth anymore where we can see him, but he is alive with Jesus.”  My sweet, little Christian has been so sensitive about the situation since he heard the news.  He came up to me later that morning and said, “Mom, it’s okay to be sad.”  Then he gave me a big hug!  He also asked if it would be okay if he told people in the house about what happened so that they could pray for “grandpa”.  He colored me pictures all throughout the day, even one of grandpa as an angel.


Some call it “Campbell stubbornness” but I’d like to call it determination – that’s one thing I inherited from my dad.  He’s always been a hard worker and was blessed with many incredible talents – teaching, coaching, painting, building things, creating new foods or concoctions (okay, that’s a Campbell inside joke) – just to name a few.  He will be forever in my heart and honored in our home.  His grandchildren will grow up knowing all about him.  I tell Christian all the time that he has Grandpa Campbell’s smile and it’s soooo true!!

For those that know my background, they know my beliefs are different than my family’s.  HOWEVER, all week long our family has been talking about John 3:16.  I know my dad believed in Jesus.  In the body of Christ, there are many doctrines or teachings that have been developed that divide the church (which is unfortunate), but the truth is that JESUS is the way, the truth, and the life and no one comes to the Father except through Him [John 14:6].  The greater our understanding of this truth is, the greater we’ll walk in freedom!  I asked the Lord to show me what my dad was up to, and this is the picture I got:

My dad was laying on the ground, younger in his years, and a puppy dog was licking him on the face.  He was smiling and laughing, rocking back and forth on his side - full of joy!  Sometimes pictures I receive are symbolic, and I believe the Lord was saying that joy and childlikeness has fully returned to my dad and that he’s having a GREAT time in heaven!!

I will be flying back to the States, arriving on Tuesday, to attend my dad’s viewing and funeral service the following 2 days.  The Lord is my provider and I trust in Him for this journey!  Please cover Josh and the kids in your prayers while I’m away.

On behalf of everyone that has shared their condolences, love, prayers and support – THANK YOU!!


2 comments:

  1. This was beautiful! Brought tears to my eyes! He was a very good man!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! Yes, yes he was! He will be forever remembered and honored.

      Delete