Saturday, September 13, 2014

Footprints

To go to villages in Africa where they have very little and yet do not complain, that’s where I want to be!  To see children line up with excitement – bowls and cups in hand – waiting to be served a simple meal of porridge and cabbage with juice to drink………..it’s priceless!

We’ve had the opportunity to go to an Iris base called Footprints in Lammermoor, South Africa on Tuesday, Thursday and Friday of this past week.  The first day was a bit more challenging because our own kids were still experiencing jet lag and were tired.  Christian became very dehydrated and began throwing up after a few hours of being there and playing with the children, so we ended the day earlier than expected and headed home.  Christian woke up the next day feeling much better, and we have remedied the dehydration problem by purchasing water bottles for each child.  We fill them up multiple times a day, and they have all done great with drinking water now.

During our second visit, we were greeted by many sweet smiles from the smaller children that live on base.  I am proud to say that I have learned all of the little ones’ names.  I believe there are 28 children that live on the base, but we have yet to spend much time with the older ones.  Josiah has made friends with a few boys his age, specifically Duncan and Mikey, and I like to think of them as The Three Stooges!  They all have quite the personalities and keep us laughing!  The children have enjoyed the area as they have a playground, sandbox, trampolines, horses (Captain & Charlie) and other pets.  I’ve been told that there are pet snakes somewhere, but I have yet to see them…Jade is okay with that! ;-)

We went with a team on outreach to a village called Allveville.  We brought yogurt and frozen fruit drinks with us and simply loved on the children there.  I encountered great teaching opportunities with our children during this time.  Gracie and Josiah were both wanting yogurt, but I explained to them that they wouldn’t be having any unless there were some left over (which we gathered there wouldn’t be).  We brought a backpack with snacks for them anyways, just in case it was a longer day than expected.  I wanted our children to know that it wasn’t because they were “undeserving” of these special treats, but I took the opportunity to explain to them why we were there and what we were doing.  I basically taught out of Matthew 25:35-40 and explained to them how these African children sometimes go without meals and rarely get special treats like this.  Jesus commanded us to go and feed the poor so that’s what we’re doing.  Josiah and I then went on a walk to where the garbage piles were.  I told him that the children live in these little homes surrounding the piles of garbage and sometimes there are people who even live in the garbage dumps and look for food there because they don’t have food to eat like we do.  He said, “Ewww.”  I told him it’s sad and that’s why we’re here to help them.  He was really soaking it up in his spirit because as we walked back to the group he said, “Mom, can you tell me that again?  I want to hear it again what you just told me.”  He then asked me to walk over to the garbage dumps so that I could explain to him the truth of God’s word again.  It so touched my heart that he was actually absorbing in his own heart what I was speaking about!  There was one little boy there whom Josiah really connected with.  He began playing chase/tag with him and both were giggling the entire time.  The boy found it funny that we hid behind a parked vehicle so he couldn’t see us and then we slowly snuck up behind him (because his back was towards us) and surprised him!  Shortly after, it was time for us to head home.  Josh did enjoy his time there, not only hanging with the little children, but also visiting with a couple of the teen boys there...encouraging them with their dreams.  What a glorious day!

The next day, Friday, September 12th, we went to Donald’s Village to feed the children there (after spending some time at Footprints and making paper airplanes for some of the children).  As the village children gathered, they lined up with their bowls and cups (for possibly the only meal they’ve had that day, I’m not really sure) and some other team members dished them up porridge, cabbage and juice.  They were thrilled!  I was blessed to pray for some ladies while there and speak into their identity.  In case anyone is wondering, they do speak English where we are.  While playing in the dirt, Gracie was swarmed by a bunch of children.  Everyone loves her blonde hair (which I just cut about 6” off of).  She handled it rather well and didn’t shy away from them like she normally might.  I did check in with her to see if she was okay, and she just kept on playing in the dirt.  Gracie may be shy at times, but she does have a boldness and fearlessness in her!  I see more and more how content our kids are to simply play in the dirt – the simple life.  One of the team members brought nail polish so Jade enjoyed painting the little girls’ nails yellow and pink.  There was music playing, and I tell you what, these little African girls can dance!!  It was such a place of joy!

These village children may live in shacks, wear dirty/holey clothes and not have much food, but in my experience I have never heard them complain.  I don’t think they deserve to live that way, but I do believe we can all learn a little something from them.  When you begin to focus on your troubles or lacks, then the enemy pounces on the opportunity to enlarge them and tell you lies so that your situations or circumstance become worse in your mind than they really are.  That is why God commands us to focus on the positive [Philippians 4:8].  When things don’t go exactly the way you expected or envisioned they would, stop for a minute and ponder the following – God, where are you in the midst of this?  Help me to see where you’re at work so that I can grow closer to you!  Because the truth is, God is always at work.  Don’t accept the saying that “everything happens for a reason” because not everything that happens is part of God’s plan, but God will use everything in our lives for good if we allow Him to.  We just need to make sure we’re magnifying the positive instead of the negative in our lives.  This is called having a heavenly or kingdom perspective, and when you focus on the truth instead of the fact, it will set you free!

2 comments:

  1. I love hearing about your daily adventures! You are so encouraging and uplifting! LOVE you all! <3

    ReplyDelete